Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dance, Ballerina, Dance!!!

Dad and Mom lived in the Golden Age of Music and Radio. Duke Ellington was the "In" music of the 30's, and the big bands, Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey. George and Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, their work just poured out of them. In 1935, George Gershwin wrote the first American Folk Opera, 'Porgy & Bess.' By 1939, 80% of Americans owned a radio. For some reason, they called them 'radio sets.'

It was an uproarious time for comedians like Fred Allen, George Burns & Gracie Allen, Amos and Andy to name a few. The radio is actutally the media that started soap operas in day time hours like 'Our Gal Sunday, The Lone Ranger, Green Hornet and the infamous "The Shadow." Radio was also responsible for news broadcasts with such greats as Edward R. Murrow and H.V. Kaltenborn. Our president, Franklin Rosevelt, also used this media for political gain with his "Fireside Chats" every week.

One of the most dramatic moments in radio history was May 6, 1937, when a young Herb Morrison was eye witness to the German Air Ship Hindenburg bursting into flames while attempting to land in Lakehurst, New Jersey. The terror in his voice chills to this day. But by far, the most famous incident in radio, was Oct. 30, 1936. A young actor by the name of Orson Welles, from Mercury Theatre, broadcast a story called 'War of the Worlds.' He paniced millions of listeners that nite and did not have the disclaimer explain it was just a story until the end of the broadcast. He apologized for this event for several years.

Mom and Dad lived in the Golden Age of Hollywood. In the 1930's depression era, audiences were looking for an escape from every day drudgeries of life intto the lavish sets and stories of the Golden Screen. Women swooned over Clark Gable, Errol Flynn and Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers entralled audiences with their beautiful dancing and songs. Bob Hope and the Marx Brothers made them laugh, and of course we have to mention the incomparable Shirley Temple. Oh, and the largest money making movie until that time, 'Gone With the Wind', 1939.Did you know that Walt Disney created 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's in 1939. The man was a genius and far ahead of his time.

George and Ira Gershwin wrote 6 musicals in the 1930's, one of which won a Pulitzer Prize for drama, it was "Of Thee I Sing." It was the longest running musical of the 30's. Also, 'Porggy and Bess", with some of the most beautiful music........Summertime........Old Man River. Did I mention that this was the first American Folk Operetta written?

So, my parents lived through 'Black Tuesday', Oct. 29, 1929, start of the depression which lasted into 1939. The whole world was watching and looking to see if Democracy would survive after this crushing blow. Well............it did. We're still here.........Mousselini, Stalin, Hitler......They survived it all, but now the stage was set for WWII.

In honor of my nephew, John DiMontova, finding my blog, I want to tell you a little about your father. Your father was the kindest, gentlest person. He had a big heart and loved his family. I mean you kids and your mom. He also loved his mom and dad and siblings too. He moved to New Jersey with Sandy and bought that pretty house and you all moved in including your other grandma, I'm sorry, I can't remember her name. But as I remember, your dad built a patio in the back of the house, cement? My mom was there helping, ha. She cooked, that's how she helped everyone. Of course when you excell at something.......The last time I saw you two was at Christmas time when you were about 5 and 7. Beautiful children. I think it was just after that I got married, in any event, it was 1966. Moved to Ohio with my husband, had a daughter Chery and Son Christopher in 1969 and 1974 respectively. You also have 6 cousins in Florida or near proximity.

As a little girl I remember my brother Ted. Very quiet, very handsome. Being the last of 6 children, I didn't get a lot of chances to talk, but Ted always made sure he listened to me. He was 9 years older than me, but I remember how hard he worked on the farm helping my father. THey would get up a 5am, go milk the cows, feed them, clean the barn, and by 8am come in for breakfast. Ted would eat a dozen eggs with a loaf of Italian bread, half pound of bacon, milk, coffee, juice. All our appetites were enormous on the farm. Ted always looked up to Dick, although I'm sorry to say, he was not always the best example. When we moved back to Astoria, shortly there after, Ted was drafted into the Army. We were all very sad. I missed him and so did Mom and Dad.

I will continue tomorrow....................really tired.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aunt Pat,

Love the stories. Please continue to tell us all more about your mom, dad (grandma and grandpa) and growing up with your family.

Love,
John

JoAnne (formerly DiMontova) said...

Hello, I'm John's first wife JoAnne, the mother of his son Robert. I was happy to read this blog because John and I grew up together and eventually dated and married. I remember the sadness the whole family went through without his father. John is a good man, I loved him and always will. He became a strong person and Sandy and Virginia were great role models. My son Robert resembles the DiMontova heritage (but he has my eyes (hazel). He is John through and through and looks like pictures I remember of Ted. Thanks for filling me in on what I didn't know throughout our childhood and so I can pass this on to our son.
thanks,
JoAnne (the first DiMontova)

pdimontova@yahoo.com said...

Hi Joanne: So glad you found my blogs. Will be posting more so please read when you get a chance. I would be happy to fill you in on anything you want to know about my brother and our half of the famil so feel free to email me.

God Bless You and Your Family,

Aunt Pat.